Our Web Store
Border Collie Picture Gallery
Latest Dog Blogs
- Our Dogs And Social Media
- What It Means to Be Passionate About Something?
- What You Should Know About Adopting From a Shelter
- Water Safety Tips for your Fido!
- What to Know About Fleas
- Top 5 Dog Food Myths Debunked!
- Cynophobia: Why Are Some People Afraid of Dogs?
- Taking the Anxiety Out of Cooking For Our Dogs
- Are We Right To Criticise China For Boiling Dogs Alive?
- Creative Canine Fitness
Crufts-Awarded Breeder Jailed, Still Allowed To Operate After Killing 8 Puppies In Freezer
The 64-year-old Peacock admitted her crimes before Magistrate Dr Susan Dadlani of the Basingstoke Court on Thursday, March 2, detailing the reasoning behind killing the newborn border collie puppies. The breeding had been accidental, between one of her blue merle dogs and its sibling, and Peacock felt no desire to care for the genetic complications that such a pairing might cause. After two veterinarians refused to euthanise them immediately, she put all but one of the puppies in the freezer.
Later, she bagged the puppies from the freezer and dumped them at a third veterinarian’s practice. That specialist was obligated to take the puppies and even had to euthanise one who had survived the ordeal but was near death – but not without reporting the case to police.
Get Hampshire reports that, at Peacock’s Cove Road home in Farnborough, England, RSPCA inspectors were able to find the ninth puppy lying in a kennel, dead from being beaten over the head with a nearby can opener.
“The defendant contacted her vet to request that the puppies be put down. She confirmed to the vet that none of the puppies had any obvious defects,” Austin said. “When an appointment could only be offered the following day, the defendant told her ‘I will kill them myself.'”
Austin then described Peacock’s third call to a veterinarian that day, which indicated a message even more sinister.
“The defendant told the vet ‘by the way, they have been in the freezer ten minutes now and they are not dead yet,'” Austin said. “She blamed the vets for giving the puppies the worst death they could be given, but the fact remains it was the defendant’s choice.”
Peacock was sentenced to 12 weeks in jail, and a 12-month license suspension, but she is still being allowed to breed and keep animals on her property.
According to Metro, in Peacock’s defence, counsellor Fiona Taylor explained that her client felt “distressed” because of the puppies, and felt she had to kill them in order to prevent any emotional bonding with the mother.
“My client accepts that her actions were not the right actions that day and she is sorry,” Taylor said.
Among the cry for much worse from those deriding Peacock on social media, a petition initiated by Change.org has asked The Kennel Club to ban Peacock from owning or breeding pets for life.
IrishDogs.ieThe Animal Rescue Site would also like to draw attention to her case, not as a matter of sensationalising it, but to raise awareness of the horrific practice of convenience euthanasia that is still perpetuated by modern society. There is never a reason to kill a healthy pet when it can be rehomed to a loving family just as easily. Instead of going to a breeder or pet store, consider adopting from a shelter, and spread the word – there are so many wonderful animals waiting for homes!
For those who aren’t yet ready for a furry new family member, GreaterGood has a way to help dogs in shelters across the U.S.—care packages! Providing food, vaccinations, bedding, and enrichment for dogs is a costly endeavour for animal shelters across the country. Due to the high cost of these basic necessities, shelters often have to limit the number of dogs that they can save and provide homes for. A warm bed and a full belly can go a long way for the well-being of shelter dogs and puppies.
Please Help Us
IrishDogs.ie takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters because it might well be your perspective, too.
Our future could be much more secure with your help. Please SUPPORT us by either clicking on the Donate Button at the Top Right of your screen or, perhaps, click on our Google Ads if you feel that they are relevant.
You Might Also Like
The Poop Scoop News Feed
- 46 Dogs, Saved From Slaughter, Arrive in NY From South Korea ... - U.S. News & World Report
- Dogs rescued from Thailand seeking forever homes in Delco - 6abc.com
- Police in western Wisconsin seek suspect poisoning dogs with hot dogs - fox6now.com
- Houston-area man shot, hit dogs with broomstick after they pooped on floor, police say - Dallas News
- Dozens Of Dogs Rescued From Hoarding Situation - NewsChannel5.com
Latest Dog Pods
- Tips on How to Stop Your Dog from Biting
- Beware - Not All Advertised Dog Rescues Really Are! How Can You Know The Truth?
- Helpful Tips For Dog Obedience Problems
- How to Keep Dogs From Eating Poop
- Dog Grooming Tips - A General Overview of the Very Basics of Dog Grooming
- Recognising Different Types of Dog Obedience Problems
- 5 Important Tips On Feeding A Puppy