Dangerous And Toxic Foods Your Pets Should Never Eat

  • 29/09/2018
Embed
toxic-petfood.png

You might think you’re giving your pet a treat by feeding them from the table. Many people tend to think it is relatively harmless to share food with them. But did you know that some ingredients and foods we consume every day may trigger severe complications for them? Some are poisonous while others might cause vomiting and diarrhoea. You probably want to feed them a healthy and proper diet. However, not all healthy food for you is healthy for them. Let’s have a look at which surprising foods that are dangerous to your furry pals:

Chocolate, Caffeine and Coffee

Most dog owners are familiar with the chocolate warning. Chocolate, caffeine and coffee contain substances called methylxanthines which according to ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) are dangerous to your pet’s health. When they ingest methylxanthines, it causes diarrhoea, vomiting, urination, excessive thirst, seizures, tremors, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm and even death. It is vital to note that dark chocolates are more dangerous than milk chocolate. Dark baking chocolates have the highest level of methylxanthines while white chocolates contain the lowest.

Alcohol

Your pets should not be given any alcohol under no circumstances. The same effect alcohol has on humans also applies to your dog’s brain and liver, but it just takes small amounts to do a lot of damage. If your dog consumes small amounts of alcohol, it may cause diarrhoea, vomiting, difficulty in breathing, problems with coordination, and eventually could kill your dog.

Raw/Undercooked Meat, Bones and Eggs

While raw foods and eggs are harmful to humans, they can also be dangerous to your pets. They often contain bacteria like E. coli and Salmonella. Raw eggs also contain an enzyme known as avidin according to ASPCA that reduces the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin) which can lead to coat and skin problems. For domesticated animals, raw bones can be dangerous for them. It is because they could choke on them and if the bone crashes, it could puncture the digestive tract.

Xylitol

Xylitol’s used as a sweetener in peanut butter, candy, baked goods, and toothpaste. Consumption of xylitol can lead to insulin release which can cause tremors, liver failure, and brain damage.

Raisins and Grapes

Experts are still not sure which substance is toxic in raisins and grapes but what they know is that these foods for pets cause kidney failure. So, the next time you’re having fruit salad, make sure you don’t drop some on the floor. Also, ensure that you keep cookies and raisins away from your dogs.

Salty Snacks, Foods and Salt

Although a potato chip or two is nothing to be concerned about, a whole bag can be disastrous. Salty foods such as pretzels and chips, basically any salted food, can cause excessive thirst and urination in pets. The problem is sodium which can result in a shift in fluids and electrolytes which leads to tremors, dehydration, and seizures.

Nuts

The high-fat content in nuts, including walnuts, almonds and pecans, causes vomiting, diarrhoea and even pancreatitis in pets. Macadamias are particularly dangerous for pets according to ASPCA. They may cause depression, weakness, tremors, hyperthermia and vomiting. It is a big responsibility choosing to raise your pet. We know that pets boost your health when you have them around. It is therefore vital to do your research well if you’re not sure of what might be toxic or even poisonous to them. In case your pet consumes something you feel might be harmful, you can always contact your vet promptly. If you have a list of more foods we can add, feel free to add them to the comment box below.

About the writer: Rachel Burns is an animal lover and journalist based in Dallas. Writing about animals is a job of her dreams. When she’s not writing or spending time with her beloved dog, Charles, she enjoys road cycling.

Please Help Us

We've got a small favour to ask. More people are reading IrishDogs.ie than ever, but far fewer are paying for it.

IrishDogs.ie takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters because it might well be your perspective, too.

Our future could be much more secure with your help. Please SUPPORT us by either clicking on the Donate Button at the Top Right of your screen or, perhaps, click on our Google Ads if you feel that they are relevant.

You Might Also Like

Comments (0)

Post a Comment
* Your Name:
* Your Email:
(not publicly displayed)
Reply Notification:
Approval Notification:
Website:
* Security Image:
Security Image Generate new
Copy the numbers and letters from the security image:
* Message:

Email to Friend

Fill in the form below to send this dog blog to a friend:

Email to Friend
* Your Name:
* Your Email:
* Friend's Name:
* Friend's Email:
* Security Image:
Security Image Generate new
Copy the numbers and letters from the security image
* Message: