Our Web Store
Border Collie Picture Gallery
Latest Dog Blogs
- Our Dogs And Social Media
- What It Means to Be Passionate About Something?
- What You Should Know About Adopting From a Shelter
- Water Safety Tips for your Fido!
- What to Know About Fleas
- Top 5 Dog Food Myths Debunked!
- Cynophobia: Why Are Some People Afraid of Dogs?
- Taking the Anxiety Out of Cooking For Our Dogs
- Are We Right To Criticise China For Boiling Dogs Alive?
- Creative Canine Fitness
Professional Puppy Training
Your puppy simply refuses to listen. No matter what training techniques and tips you try to implement, Fido continues to have a mind of his own and insists on doing what he wants. You say "sit" and the dog runs. You say "come" and the dog acts as though he didn't hear you. These situations make you question why you ever got the dog in the first place.
One of the problems could be that the puppy is actually picking up your sense of frustration. Not everyone is cut out to be a dog trainer. If you think you may not be up to task, why not consult a professional dog trainer? After all, it is important that the dog listen to you for his own sake.
If you think that hiring a professional dog trainer is too expensive or a waste of money, you may want to rethink the problem. Professional training costs far less than the problems and complications that can occur with an untrained puppy.
Once you have decided to hire a professional trainer, you need to find one that teaches obedience in a positive and humane manner using training techniques that include praise, food and play as rewards. Never take your puppy to a trainer that uses force or pain to make the dog submit.
When choosing a professional dog trainer, ask breeders, other pet owners and veterinarians for recommendations. Interview several trainers before choosing the one to work with your puppy. Don't be afraid to ask questions, especially ones concerning the type of training techniques he or she uses. Ask for references. A good dog handler should be able to provide numerous references.
Talk to the trainer about the pros and cons of including your puppy in a class situation. Your dog might do better in a private lesson without you or in training lessons that include just you, the dog and the professional trainer.
If you decide to go with a class situation, make sure there are enough trainers on-site to give the help and guidance that everyone is looking for. One trainer working with 25 dogs and their owners is not likely to accomplish much. Your puppy will get a lot more attention when there are an adequate number of handlers available to help those having difficulties with the lessons.
Class situations can be beneficial to dogs that need to be socialised. These classes will provide the opportunity for the dog to meet other people, as well as other dogs.
You will find that trainers offer different levels of lessons. A good dog handler will host classes for beginner, intermediate and advanced training sessions.
It is important for you as the owner of the puppy to reinforce what the dog learns during the professional training sessions. It is a good idea to practise or review the lessons daily. Repetition will help the puppy retain the important lessons.
Don't be afraid to include other members of your family in the training sessions, both at class and at home. This will help the puppy to bond with other family members.
Please Help Us
IrishDogs.ie takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters because it might well be your perspective, too.
Our future could be much more secure with your help. Please SUPPORT us by either clicking on the Donate Button at the Top Right of your screen or, perhaps, click on our Google Ads if you feel that they are relevant.
You Might Also Like
The Poop Scoop News Feed
- Family tree of dogs reveals secret history of canines - BBC News
- Dayton man mauled by dog that neighbors had worried about - Dayton Daily News
- There's No Such Thing as a Good Dog - Outside Magazine
- Holly Geraci loses lawsuit, must share condo elevator with dogs ... - Chicago Tribune
- Trump Jr. celebrated Earth Day by hunting prairie dogs | New York ... - New York Post
Latest Dog Pods
- Tips on How to Stop Your Dog from Biting
- Beware - Not All Advertised Dog Rescues Really Are! How Can You Know The Truth?
- Helpful Tips For Dog Obedience Problems
- How to Keep Dogs From Eating Poop
- Dog Grooming Tips - A General Overview of the Very Basics of Dog Grooming
- Recognising Different Types of Dog Obedience Problems
- 5 Important Tips On Feeding A Puppy