Our Web Store
Irish Wolfhound Picture Gallery
Latest Dog Blogs
- Taking the Anxiety Out of Cooking For Our Dogs
- Are We Right To Criticise China For Boiling Dogs Alive?
- Creative Canine Fitness
- 5 Gifts Professional Grooming can Give To Your Pet
- How To Prepare For A Car Trip With Your Dog
- Stop killing Your Dogs with Contaminated dog food
- The Hidden Benefits Of Owning A Dog
- Ways To Help You Cope With The Loss Of A Beloved Dog
- The Decline of the Dog
- Remember, Dogs Don't Speak English
Dog Aggression - Curing Aggressive Dog Behaviour
Have you ever wished you could cure your dog of aggression and get your pet to stop this lousy behaviour once and for all? Whether it is regular dog aggression or a pet who is aggressive towards other people and children, it is important to take this issue very seriously.
Luckily, as with all canine behaviour problems, there is a solution for aggressive dogs with the right training and patience. The following is my formula for fixing aggressive dog behaviour and ensuring that you no longer have to put up with this problem with your dog.
1- A high level of obedience training is critical for fixing an issue like this. This is step one and the most important part of fixing this problem. If your dog is obedient to you it makes aggression much more manageable. For example, your dog can't be aggressive to another dog if he comes when called. He can't bite someone who comes through the door if he reliably lies down and stays. There are many things that are made more simple if your dog is obedient.
More important than the functionality of obedience, though, is what obedience training does for your relationship with your dog. Obedience puts you in the leadership role. It is critical for you to be the leader if you are the owner of such a dog.
2- Control the environment around your pet. I can't tell you how many times I have spoken with the owner of a dog that suffers from dog on dog aggression who repeatedly takes their dog to a dog park for 'socialisation'. Every time the dog goes to the park he gets into a fight! It is important to use common sense and be more careful of your dog's surroundings and environment.
Don't get me wrong. That doesn't mean your animal has to live in a bubble. It just means that you need to be more aware of your surroundings if you have a dog with this issue and take extra precautions.
3- You need to correct your dog the next time he shows aggressive behaviour. This isn't done by shouting at your dog, swatting him, or any other means like that. The best way to correct this problem is by doing leash training. As your dog starts to show aggression, give a few firm corrections as you go the opposite direction. By going the opposite direction you prevent your dog from forming an association with the object of his ire.
By following these steps you can fix dog aggression and get your dog to be much less of a liability.
You Might Also Like
The Poop Scoop News Feed
- TAILS Volunteer Rescue Program Pairs Fighting Dogs with Inmates - PEOPLE.com
- Meet The Top Ten Dogs Of Silicon Valley, The Barks Behind The Billionaires - Forbes
- Philippines' Duterte to US: 'Do not make us your dogs' - CNN
- Psychological science explores the minds of dogs - Phys.org - Phys.Org
- How close is Watch Dogs 2 to real-life San Francisco? - CNET
Latest Dog Pods
- Tips on How to Stop Your Dog from Biting
- Beware - Not All Advertised Dog Rescues Really Are! How Can You Know The Truth?
- Helpful Tips For Dog Obedience Problems
- How to Keep Dogs From Eating Poop
- Dog Grooming Tips - A General Overview of the Very Basics of Dog Grooming
- Recognising Different Types of Dog Obedience Problems
- 5 Important Tips On Feeding A Puppy