Our Web Store
Alaskan Malamute Picture Gallery
Latest Dog Blogs
- Common Foods That Are Toxic To Dogs
- Why Are There So Many Pet Food Recalls?
- 3 Tips on Using a Dog Treat Ball to Keep Your Dog From Boredom
- Are Wolves or Foxes Ancestors of Today's Companion?
- Seizures In Dogs: The 5 Most Important Natural Remedies
- A Nation Of Dog Lovers? I Think Not
- Can Dogs Catch Colds From Humans?
- Dogs And Cats Get On Great ... Until Bed Time
- Dogs and Fireworks!
- Guilty Dogs!
Dog Aggression - Curing Aggressive Dog Behaviour
Have you ever wished you could cure your dog of aggression and get your pet to stop this lousy behaviour once and for all? Whether it is regular dog aggression or a pet who is aggressive towards other people and children, it is important to take this issue very seriously.
Luckily, as with all canine behaviour problems, there is a solution for aggressive dogs with the right training and patience. The following is my formula for fixing aggressive dog behaviour and ensuring that you no longer have to put up with this problem with your dog.
1- A high level of obedience training is critical for fixing an issue like this. This is step one and the most important part of fixing this problem. If your dog is obedient to you it makes aggression much more manageable. For example, your dog can't be aggressive to another dog if he comes when called. He can't bite someone who comes through the door if he reliably lies down and stays. There are many things that are made more simple if your dog is obedient.
More important than the functionality of obedience, though, is what obedience training does for your relationship with your dog. Obedience puts you in the leadership role. It is critical for you to be the leader if you are the owner of such a dog.
2- Control the environment around your pet. I can't tell you how many times I have spoken with the owner of a dog that suffers from dog on dog aggression who repeatedly takes their dog to a dog park for 'socialisation'. Every time the dog goes to the park he gets into a fight! It is important to use common sense and be more careful of your dog's surroundings and environment.
Don't get me wrong. That doesn't mean your animal has to live in a bubble. It just means that you need to be more aware of your surroundings if you have a dog with this issue and take extra precautions.
3- You need to correct your dog the next time he shows aggressive behaviour. This isn't done by shouting at your dog, swatting him, or any other means like that. The best way to correct this problem is by doing leash training. As your dog starts to show aggression, give a few firm corrections as you go the opposite direction. By going the opposite direction you prevent your dog from forming an association with the object of his ire.
By following these steps you can fix dog aggression and get your dog to be much less of a liability.
Email to Friend
Fill in the form below to send this article to a friend:
Latest Dog Pods
- Tips on How to Stop Your Dog from Biting
- Beware - Not All Advertised Dog Rescues Really Are! How Can You Know The Truth?
- Helpful Tips For Dog Obedience Problems
- How to Keep Dogs From Eating Poop
- Dog Grooming Tips - A General Overview of the Very Basics of Dog Grooming
- Recognising Different Types of Dog Obedience Problems
- 5 Important Tips On Feeding A Puppy
The Poop Scoop News Feed
- Deer, dog chase damages Anne Arundel school - Baltimore Sun
- 'Dog Whisperer' helps dogs and their people on new 'Cesar 911' show - Washington Post
- Sled dog rescue team makes winter debut - Sacramento Bee
- Houston may crack down on owners of roaming, barking dogs - KVUE
- Watch Dogs drop-in multiplayer can be turned on or off - Polygon