Our Web Store
Komondor Picture Gallery
Latest Dog Blogs
- How to Create A Pet Safety Net
- 9 Science-Backed Reasons To Own A Dog
- Are Peanuts Safe For Dogs?
- Reward The Good Or Punish The Bad?
- Situations Every Dog Owner Will Find Themselves In
- Jurassic Dog Park: Which Dinosaur is Your Pup?
- Buying Dogs In Pet Stores Isn't Much Better Than Eating Them
- The Dark Side of Breeding Dogs: How Breeding for Pedigree Harms Dogs’ Health
- Storm Anxiety: Help For Your Scaredy-Cat Or Dog
- Canine Osteoarthritis: Signs, Cause and Diagnosis
Dog Aggression - Curing Aggressive Dog Behaviour
Have you ever wished you could cure your dog of aggression and get your pet to stop this lousy behaviour once and for all? Whether it is regular dog aggression or a pet who is aggressive towards other people and children, it is important to take this issue very seriously.
Luckily, as with all canine behaviour problems, there is a solution for aggressive dogs with the right training and patience. The following is my formula for fixing aggressive dog behaviour and ensuring that you no longer have to put up with this problem with your dog.
1- A high level of obedience training is critical for fixing an issue like this. This is step one and the most important part of fixing this problem. If your dog is obedient to you it makes aggression much more manageable. For example, your dog can't be aggressive to another dog if he comes when called. He can't bite someone who comes through the door if he reliably lies down and stays. There are many things that are made more simple if your dog is obedient.
More important than the functionality of obedience, though, is what obedience training does for your relationship with your dog. Obedience puts you in the leadership role. It is critical for you to be the leader if you are the owner of such a dog.
2- Control the environment around your pet. I can't tell you how many times I have spoken with the owner of a dog that suffers from dog on dog aggression who repeatedly takes their dog to a dog park for 'socialisation'. Every time the dog goes to the park he gets into a fight! It is important to use common sense and be more careful of your dog's surroundings and environment.
Don't get me wrong. That doesn't mean your animal has to live in a bubble. It just means that you need to be more aware of your surroundings if you have a dog with this issue and take extra precautions.
3- You need to correct your dog the next time he shows aggressive behaviour. This isn't done by shouting at your dog, swatting him, or any other means like that. The best way to correct this problem is by doing leash training. As your dog starts to show aggression, give a few firm corrections as you go the opposite direction. By going the opposite direction you prevent your dog from forming an association with the object of his ire.
By following these steps you can fix dog aggression and get your dog to be much less of a liability.
The Poop Scoop News Feed
- Dogs and cats can now go choo-choo: Amtrak tests pets on the rails - Washington Post (blog)
- Adoption event set for dogs seized in case - Norman Transcript
- Jacksonville City Council OKs ordinance against 'potentially dangerous' dogs - Anniston Star
- Couple Share What It's Like Living in a Home with 41 Dogs - odditycentral (blog)
- Wolves beat dogs at problem-solving test - Science News for Students
Latest Dog Pods
- Tips on How to Stop Your Dog from Biting
- Beware - Not All Advertised Dog Rescues Really Are! How Can You Know The Truth?
- Helpful Tips For Dog Obedience Problems
- How to Keep Dogs From Eating Poop
- Dog Grooming Tips - A General Overview of the Very Basics of Dog Grooming
- Recognising Different Types of Dog Obedience Problems
- 5 Important Tips On Feeding A Puppy