Our Web Store
Border Collie Picture Gallery
Latest Dog Blogs
- Our Dogs And Social Media
- What It Means to Be Passionate About Something?
- What You Should Know About Adopting From a Shelter
- Water Safety Tips for your Fido!
- What to Know About Fleas
- Top 5 Dog Food Myths Debunked!
- Cynophobia: Why Are Some People Afraid of Dogs?
- Taking the Anxiety Out of Cooking For Our Dogs
- Are We Right To Criticise China For Boiling Dogs Alive?
- Creative Canine Fitness
Allergies Can Affect Fido As Much As Humans
We usually don’t stop to think about how the allergies we suffer from could also be affecting our pets. Canine allergies can cause so many problems we never think about. The allergies affecting our dogs can make them miserable and grouchy just like they do us. Canine allergies have been known to make dogs extremely sick. Left untreated, the conditions only worsen so it is important to be aware of these conditions.
Fleas Cause Canine Allergies
Many of the canine allergies will fall into one of three categories. The first one is fleas. This can be so hard on an animal. The poor dog can do nothing but scratch and itch and scratch and itch. His or her hair may start to fall out. Sores can start to develop. The dog is just plain miserable. Symptoms can range from simple scratching to skin infections. Because the dog is constantly biting and chewing on themselves, you may notice hardly any fleas. It is actually the saliva from the flea which causes the canine allergies. Although there are remedies which can alleviate the symptoms, there is no cure. You will just need to take precautions to keep your dog from having fleas to avoid this particular canine allergy.
Canine Allergies from Food
Canine allergies can also be related to foods. Just as humans are allergic to certain foods, so are dogs. Some of the most common of food canine allergies among dogs are beef, chicken, wheat, and eggs, which many people will be surprised by, given what most dog food is made of. While no-one knows what causes these particular canine allergies, there are preventive measures you can take. You may want to put your dog on a hypoallergenic diet for 2 to 3 months. This will allow your dog to be relieved of some of the symptoms associated with the canine allergies to certain foods. Once the symptoms are gone, you can slowly add foods back into the diet, one ever two weeks or so. If you start to notice the symptoms returning, simply remove the added food from the diet as that is probably what is causing this particular canine allergy.
Environmental Canine Allergies
It is difficult to understand but canine allergies can also be caused by the environment. Common dust particles and airborne moulds can cause the dog to have allergic reactions. The problem with Atopy is that it is considered a lifelong condition. The animal will always suffer from the itching and other symptoms. The treatment for canine allergies due to the environment is through medications, medicated shampoos or seventy-five percent of canine allergies, though, so the odds are good.
The best thing to do when you first notice symptoms or behaviour in your pet which you attribute to canine allergies is to have them checked out by your vet be they dog food related or otherwise. This way you can catch the problem before it gets out of hand. Your dog will love you even more for trying to get canine allergies under control as quickly as possible.
Please Help Us
IrishDogs.ie takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters because it might well be your perspective, too.
Our future could be much more secure with your help. Please SUPPORT us by either clicking on the Donate Button at the Top Right of your screen or, perhaps, click on our Google Ads if you feel that they are relevant.
You Might Also Like
The Poop Scoop News Feed
- 46 Dogs, Saved From Slaughter, Arrive in NY From South Korea ... - U.S. News & World Report
- Dogs rescued from Thailand seeking forever homes in Delco - 6abc.com
- Police in western Wisconsin seek suspect poisoning dogs with hot dogs - fox6now.com
- Houston-area man shot, hit dogs with broomstick after they pooped on floor, police say - Dallas News
- Dozens Of Dogs Rescued From Hoarding Situation - NewsChannel5.com
Latest Dog Pods
- Tips on How to Stop Your Dog from Biting
- Beware - Not All Advertised Dog Rescues Really Are! How Can You Know The Truth?
- Helpful Tips For Dog Obedience Problems
- How to Keep Dogs From Eating Poop
- Dog Grooming Tips - A General Overview of the Very Basics of Dog Grooming
- Recognising Different Types of Dog Obedience Problems
- 5 Important Tips On Feeding A Puppy