Our Web Store
Border Collie Picture Gallery
Latest Dog Blogs
- Our Dogs And Social Media
- What It Means to Be Passionate About Something?
- What You Should Know About Adopting From a Shelter
- Water Safety Tips for your Fido!
- What to Know About Fleas
- Top 5 Dog Food Myths Debunked!
- Cynophobia: Why Are Some People Afraid of Dogs?
- Taking the Anxiety Out of Cooking For Our Dogs
- Are We Right To Criticise China For Boiling Dogs Alive?
- Creative Canine Fitness
English Springer Spaniel Dog Breed Information
Description: A medium-sized dog, the English Springer Spaniel is 19 to 21 at the shoulder for the male and 18 to 20 for the bitch. The dog weighs 45 to 55 pounds, and the bitch weighs 40 to 50 pounds. The English Spaniel is a compact, sturdy dog with a moderately long coat. The coat is found in several color varieties, black and white, liver and white, roan, and tricolor. The ears are long and hang close to the head. The tail is usually docked, shorter in the show dog than in the field dog, whose tail serves as a signal to the hunter. This dog can live from 12 to 14 years.
History: By the Renaissance, the forbears of this spaniel were already considered to be the perfect hunting companion. This dog might be considered the grandfather of many of today's familiar breeds - the Cocker Spaniel, Clumber Spaniel, Sussex Spaniel, and Field Spaniel all developed out of the English Springer Spaniel. Originally, English Spring Spaniels and Cocker Spaniels were born in the same litter. The English Springer Spaniel was considered to be a separate breed from the Cocker Spaniel in 1902.
Temperament: The English Springer Spaniel is well known for its good nature. It is an intelligent breed that is not only a good hunting dog, but is also a dog that loves to be around its human family. This dog is very good with children and has a cheerful outlook on life. It should be noted here that there are considered to be two types of this spaniel, the field spaniel and the show spaniel. They differ not only in appearance, with the show being more elegant, but also in the fact that rage syndrome has shown up in the show English Springer Spaniels. It has not been reported in the field dogs.
Health Issues: One of the major problems affecting the English Spring Spaniel is hip dysplasia. This breed can also suffer from cataracts and progressive retinal atrophy. The English Springer Spaniel can sometimes be subject to epilepsy, as well as thyroid problems and allergic skin conditions. This breed is also prone to weight gain, so monitoring its diet is important.
Grooming: Because the English Springer Spaniel has rather long hair, brushing 2 or 3 times a week is necessary to prevent tangling and matting, especially in the show dog. The field English Spaniel will need attention, too, if it has been working outside. Make sure that burrs and ticks are removed. The ears of this breed can be subject to infections, so it is often advised that the hair on the underside is shaved.
Living Conditions: Regardless of whether the English Springer Spaniel is a show dog or a field dog, it does best when close to its family. This is an active dog, bred originally for hunting, so it requires a good deal of exercise. It tends to be active inside. The English Springer Spaniel can be kept in an apartment, but the owner will have to make sure that it meets its exercise requirements.
Please Help Us
IrishDogs.ie takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters because it might well be your perspective, too.
Our future could be much more secure with your help. Please SUPPORT us by either clicking on the Donate Button at the Top Right of your screen or, perhaps, click on our Google Ads if you feel that they are relevant.
You Might Also Like
The Poop Scoop News Feed
- Family tree of dogs reveals secret history of canines - BBC News
- Dayton man mauled by dog that neighbors had worried about - Dayton Daily News
- There's No Such Thing as a Good Dog - Outside Magazine
- Holly Geraci loses lawsuit, must share condo elevator with dogs ... - Chicago Tribune
- Trump Jr. celebrated Earth Day by hunting prairie dogs | New York ... - New York Post
Latest Dog Pods
- Tips on How to Stop Your Dog from Biting
- Beware - Not All Advertised Dog Rescues Really Are! How Can You Know The Truth?
- Helpful Tips For Dog Obedience Problems
- How to Keep Dogs From Eating Poop
- Dog Grooming Tips - A General Overview of the Very Basics of Dog Grooming
- Recognising Different Types of Dog Obedience Problems
- 5 Important Tips On Feeding A Puppy