Our Web Store
Border Collie Picture Gallery
Latest Dog Blogs
- Our Dogs And Social Media
- What It Means to Be Passionate About Something?
- What You Should Know About Adopting From a Shelter
- Water Safety Tips for your Fido!
- What to Know About Fleas
- Top 5 Dog Food Myths Debunked!
- Cynophobia: Why Are Some People Afraid of Dogs?
- Taking the Anxiety Out of Cooking For Our Dogs
- Are We Right To Criticise China For Boiling Dogs Alive?
- Creative Canine Fitness
The Most Popular Small And Big Breed Of Dogs That Make The Most Adorable Pets
Dogs that look- alike come from the same breed and are called purebreds. They usually have predictable needs and personalities. Breeds are divided into seven main groups.
TOY DOGS ... The Shih tzu is one of the tiny breeds known as toy dogs. They are full of personality and may bark a lot. Toy dogs don't need lots of walking.
HOUNDS ... Hounds were bred to be hunters and have a built-in desire to chase things. They can be harder to train than other breeds and are not ideal pets for first-time owners.
TERRIERS ... Breeds in the terrier group are tough and have strong personalities. They can be very lively and even aggressive. Most terriers are small or medium sized.
GUNDOGS ... This group includes the Labrador Retriever,and most spaniels. Many breeds in this group are relaxed and easy to train. They are good with children and are popular family pets.
HERDING DOGS ... This group contains the border collie and cattle dogs. They are intelligent breeds with lots of energy. This makes them easy to train. Herding dogs need lots to do, or they will get bored.
UTILITY DOGS ... This contains all those breeds that don't fit into any other group. The poodle is part of this group.
WORKING DOGS ... Working dogs often make better guard dogs than family pets as they can be protective. The German Shepherd is a well- known breed in this group.
MIXED BREEDS ... Some dogs are a mix of two or more breeds. Many mixed breed dogs make loving,happy pets. They are usually healthier than purebreds.It is harder to predict how they will grow up or how easy they will be to train. Puppies grow much more quickly than human babies. At four weeks, they can run about and play. At five weeks, they have their first teeth. By about six months, they are almost grown.
PUREBRED PUPPIES ... You can usually visit a breeder to look at a litter of puppies when the litter is about four weeks old. You can't take the puppy you choose home until he is around nine weeks old. Watch the mother of the puppies and see if she behaves in a nice way. Her puppies may grow up to be just like her.
MIXED BREED ... If you would like to own a mixed breed puppy, try to meet one of his parents too, for an idea of how big he will grow. If you can't do this, look at the puppy's paws. If he has big paws, he will probably grow into a big dog.
A HEALTHY PUPPY ... You can tell a lot about your pup's personality and health at your fist meeting. She should be lively and friendly, with a clean coat, even under her tail near her bottom. Remember to ask your vet to check your puppy's health, once you bring the pup home.
Please Help Us
IrishDogs.ie takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters because it might well be your perspective, too.
Our future could be much more secure with your help. Please SUPPORT us by either clicking on the Donate Button at the Top Right of your screen or, perhaps, click on our Google Ads if you feel that they are relevant.
You Might Also Like
The Poop Scoop News Feed
- 46 Dogs, Saved From Slaughter, Arrive in NY From South Korea ... - U.S. News & World Report
- Dogs rescued from Thailand seeking forever homes in Delco - 6abc.com
- Police in western Wisconsin seek suspect poisoning dogs with hot dogs - fox6now.com
- Houston-area man shot, hit dogs with broomstick after they pooped on floor, police say - Dallas News
- Dozens Of Dogs Rescued From Hoarding Situation - NewsChannel5.com
Latest Dog Pods
- Tips on How to Stop Your Dog from Biting
- Beware - Not All Advertised Dog Rescues Really Are! How Can You Know The Truth?
- Helpful Tips For Dog Obedience Problems
- How to Keep Dogs From Eating Poop
- Dog Grooming Tips - A General Overview of the Very Basics of Dog Grooming
- Recognising Different Types of Dog Obedience Problems
- 5 Important Tips On Feeding A Puppy