Pay Attention To These Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat!

  • 04/09/2018
Embed
doggo-at-table.jpg

Dogs are creatures that really love food and they will be longing for some treats each time you will have your meal. Of course, this kind of behaviour can be corrected and a dog can be taught to sit quietly until you finish your meal. But, we all know that most dog owners enjoy spoiling their four-legged friends and can hardly resist those begging eyes. Still, you should be extremely careful what you feed your dog. A wide range of human food is toxic and even life-threatening for dogs.

First of all, our food contains way too much salt, spices, sugar and other sweeteners, and unhealthy fats for our dogs. But, this doesn’t mean that it is okay to give your dog any kind of vegetable or fruits either. They are carnivorous creatures and while some veggies are good, offering vitamins and fibres, the list is quite limited. But, let us take a look at the foods your dog should never ever eat.

Stay away from sweets with xylitol

If you thought sugar is bad for your pooch, xylitol, a type of sweetener, is even worse. This sweetener can be found in some sweets and diet foods, out of the desire of the manufacturer to avoid sugar. So, choosing to give your dog “light” sweets is the worst thing you can do. Vomiting, lethargy, and seizures are some of the symptoms caused by xylitol ingestion. In the worst cases, liver failure can occur in just a few days, according to WebMD.

Chocolate, coffee, and other foods that contain caffeine

While chocolate is one of our favourite treats, this particular food is extremely dangerous for dogs. Even a small piece can cause severe health problems. If you have a Pomeranian, for example, a small piece of chocolate can lead to death. This is due to the fact that chocolate contains methylxanthines, toxic substances for dogs that are also contained by coffee and products with caffeine. According to the ASPCA, even low doses of methylxanthines can cause symptoms like vomiting, panting, diarrhoea, exacerbated thirst, and hyperactivity. In severe cases, it can affect the heart’s rhythm, can lead to seizures, and, as mentioned before, can be life-threatening. 

Alcohol

Under no circumstances, you should ever give alcohol to your dog. It doesn’t matter if the beverage has low levels of alcohol, as the damages can still be significant. Alcohol consumption has the same repercussion on a dog’s brain and liver just as it does in the case of humans. But, when it comes to dogs, it only takes a small amount of alcohol to cause a significant amount of damage. So, yes, alcohol can lead to coma and even death in the case of dogs.

Avocado

Regardless if this particular fruit is extremely healthy for humans, it should never be offered to dogs. Avocados contain a substance called persin, which can trigger allergy issues in humans. But, the situation is worse when it comes to dogs. It can cause severe diarrhoea and vomiting, not to mention that the seeds of this fruits can cause intestinal obstruction. It is also worth mentioning that persin can also be found in the leaves and bark of the avocado plant. So, if you are growing such plants at home, make sure that your dog can’t reach them.

Ice cream, milk, and other dairy products

We all saw those cute videos with pups licking ice cream on hot summer days. Well, that’s a bad idea, as most dogs are lactose intolerant. Thus, foods containing milk and other dairy products can cause serious digestive problems, including diarrhoea, and can trigger skin reactions, like itchiness.

Garlic and onions

While these two are great for our health, killing germs and providing valuable minerals and vitamins, garlic and onions are no good for dogs. It doesn’t matter if it is raw, cooked, dehydrated, or comes as powder these two veggies are dangerous regardless of their form. They have the power to kill the red blood cells in dogs and lead to anaemia, vomiting, breathing issues, and weakness.

Conclusion

If you want to make sure your dog has a long and beautiful life, the best way to go is to give it appropriate food. Resist the temptation to “treat” it with human foods and you’ll keep health problems at bay.

Please Help Us

We've got a small favour to ask. More people are reading IrishDogs.ie than ever, but far fewer are paying for it.

IrishDogs.ie takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters because it might well be your perspective, too.

Our future could be much more secure with your help. Please SUPPORT us by either clicking on the Donate Button at the Top Right of your screen or, perhaps, click on our Google Ads if you feel that they are relevant.

You Might Also Like

Comments (0)

Post a Comment
* Your Name:
* Your Email:
(not publicly displayed)
Reply Notification:
Approval Notification:
Website:
* Security Image:
Security Image Generate new
Copy the numbers and letters from the security image:
* Message:

Email to Friend

Fill in the form below to send this article to a friend:

Email to Friend
* Your Name:
* Your Email:
* Friend's Name:
* Friend's Email:
* Security Image:
Security Image Generate new
Copy the numbers and letters from the security image
* Message: