Our Web Store
Irish Wolfhound Picture Gallery
Latest Dog Blogs
- Are We Right To Criticise China For Boiling Dogs Alive?
- Creative Canine Fitness
- 5 Gifts Professional Grooming can Give To Your Pet
- How To Prepare For A Car Trip With Your Dog
- Stop killing Your Dogs with Contaminated dog food
- The Hidden Benefits Of Owning A Dog
- Ways To Help You Cope With The Loss Of A Beloved Dog
- The Decline of the Dog
- Remember, Dogs Don't Speak English
- Larger Dogs Need Special Dog Beds
How Long Is a Dog's Gestation Period?
Gestation, or the term of a pregnancy in dogs starts from the first time they are bred, or fertilised, and lasts until the puppies are born. This period can vary based on the breed or size of the dog, but usually is about 9 weeks. Unlike humans, female dogs can have menstruation cycles throughout their entire lives, and can have puppies at any age after their first heat.
Puberty begins in a female dog from between 6 to 24 months of age. She mates when she is in heat, or oestrus. There are four stages of the oestrus cycle:
*Proestrus Stage: This is the preheat period, lasting 4 to 9 days.
*Oestrus Stage: This is the stage when the female dog will mate, and lasts 4 to 13 days.
*Diestrus Stage: Lasting 2-3 months, this stage involves the pregnancy, elevated progesterone levels, and swelling of the mammary glands.
*Anestrus Stage: This is the longest lasting stage, about 5 months, when the female dog starts to prepare for the subsequent heat cycle.
It is usually hard to predict if your dog is pregnant or not, even if conception was 5 weeks prior. There is not a standard pregnancy test for a dog's urine or blood that can be done at home. It's generally advised to take your dog to the vet to confirm a pregnancy. A pregnancy is usually detected by X-ray 45 days or so after fertilisation.
You Might Also Like
The Poop Scoop News Feed
- Suggestion that Pets Lovingly Dream About Their Owners Brings the Internet to Happy Tears - PEOPLE.com
- What does your dog dream about? A Harvard psychologist may have the answer - KTTS
- Coyote attacking dogs in Spanish Lake - KSDK.com
- Boston apartment building requiring DNA test for dogs - WCVB Boston
- Secret Service Dogs: The Heroes Who Protect the President of the United States - Parade
Latest Dog Pods
- Tips on How to Stop Your Dog from Biting
- Beware - Not All Advertised Dog Rescues Really Are! How Can You Know The Truth?
- Helpful Tips For Dog Obedience Problems
- How to Keep Dogs From Eating Poop
- Dog Grooming Tips - A General Overview of the Very Basics of Dog Grooming
- Recognising Different Types of Dog Obedience Problems
- 5 Important Tips On Feeding A Puppy