Our Web Store
Irish Wolfhound Picture Gallery
Latest Dog Blogs
- The Hidden Benefits Of Owning A Dog
- Ways To Help You Cope With The Loss Of A Beloved Dog
- The Decline of the Dog
- Remember, Dogs Don't Speak English
- Larger Dogs Need Special Dog Beds
- 11 Things Your Dog Is Thinking When It Sees You Naked
- Dogs And Hardwood Floors
- Tips to Keep Your Dog Calm During Construction
- How to Choose the Right Shelter Dog
- Picking The Right Treatment And Vet For Your Pet
How Long Is a Dog's Gestation Period?
Gestation, or the term of a pregnancy in dogs starts from the first time they are bred, or fertilised, and lasts until the puppies are born. This period can vary based on the breed or size of the dog, but usually is about 9 weeks. Unlike humans, female dogs can have menstruation cycles throughout their entire lives, and can have puppies at any age after their first heat.
Puberty begins in a female dog from between 6 to 24 months of age. She mates when she is in heat, or oestrus. There are four stages of the oestrus cycle:
*Proestrus Stage: This is the preheat period, lasting 4 to 9 days.
*Oestrus Stage: This is the stage when the female dog will mate, and lasts 4 to 13 days.
*Diestrus Stage: Lasting 2-3 months, this stage involves the pregnancy, elevated progesterone levels, and swelling of the mammary glands.
*Anestrus Stage: This is the longest lasting stage, about 5 months, when the female dog starts to prepare for the subsequent heat cycle.
It is usually hard to predict if your dog is pregnant or not, even if conception was 5 weeks prior. There is not a standard pregnancy test for a dog's urine or blood that can be done at home. It's generally advised to take your dog to the vet to confirm a pregnancy. A pregnancy is usually detected by X-ray 45 days or so after fertilisation.
The Poop Scoop News Feed
- Medical examiners share details about woman killed by dogs last week - Austin American-Statesman
- Woman attacked by dogs in Connecticut loses leg, eyes, may lose arm - New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV
- Pair arraigned; seized dogs may have lethal infection - Port Huron Times Herald
- Dozens of bomb-sniffing dogs killed in Kuwait - Miami Herald
- 2 dogs euthanized at owner's request after fatal mauling in... - Local 10
Latest Dog Pods
- Tips on How to Stop Your Dog from Biting
- Beware - Not All Advertised Dog Rescues Really Are! How Can You Know The Truth?
- Helpful Tips For Dog Obedience Problems
- How to Keep Dogs From Eating Poop
- Dog Grooming Tips - A General Overview of the Very Basics of Dog Grooming
- Recognising Different Types of Dog Obedience Problems
- 5 Important Tips On Feeding A Puppy