Our Web Store
Border Collie Picture Gallery
Latest Dog Blogs
- Our Dogs And Social Media
- What It Means to Be Passionate About Something?
- What You Should Know About Adopting From a Shelter
- Water Safety Tips for your Fido!
- What to Know About Fleas
- Top 5 Dog Food Myths Debunked!
- Cynophobia: Why Are Some People Afraid of Dogs?
- Taking the Anxiety Out of Cooking For Our Dogs
- Are We Right To Criticise China For Boiling Dogs Alive?
- Creative Canine Fitness
Four Advantages Of Owning A Dog
When it comes to the decision of whether to add a dog to your family, one thing’s for sure: Pet ownership is not for everyone! If your job or lifestyle keeps you away from home most of the time, then adopting or buying a dog might not work out that well for you.
Dogs are very social creatures and need daily companionship and a lot of attention. If they’re left alone day and night, they’ll become increasingly unhappy. That often translates into undesirable behaviours, such as incessant barking, chewing on furniture, and other symptoms of separation anxiety and boredom.
The good news about welcoming a dog into your family is that the rewards usually outweigh the drawbacks. If you’re an animal lover, you’ll be able to relate to the many advantages of owning a dog (or maybe even two)!
- Dogs can bring a positive energy into your home. Assuming you’ve chosen a dog that’s a good fit for your family and lifestyle, it can be a lot of fun to have a dog in the house. Most dogs are playful, affectionate, and obedient, and are always thrilled to see you when you come home!
- Dogs and exercise often go together. Unless you have a fenced in yard and can just let your dog out when it needs to relieve itself, it’s necessary to accompany your dog for neighbourhood walks. While this responsibility can be shared by different members of the family, walking your dog can be a great way to burn off a few calories, stretch your legs, and get some fresh air. There are also the health benefits of taking in a little natural vitamin D from the sun.
- Dogs help you meet other animal lovers. Whether you take your furry friend to a nearby park or just a leisurely stroll in the neighbourhood, there will be a lot of chances to exchange greetings and small talk with other dog walkers and animal lovers. If you’ve just moved to a new neighbourhood and are looking for ways to meet your neighbours, going for daily walks with your dog can be an effective way to do that. An important side benefit of having Fido interact with other dogs and people is that it helps them get properly socialised — especially if you start the process when they’re still a puppy.
- Dogs play a role in protecting your home and family. Some dogs are better security guards than others, but most have a protective instinct to bark when strangers are on the premises. While this is not a fail-proof security system, it can definitely be a deterrent to break-ins, burglaries, and other intrusions.
Although there are a lot of advantages to bringing a dog into your household, it’s always a good idea to carefully weigh the pros and cons, and make sure everyone in your family in on board before making the commitment.
Please Help Us
IrishDogs.ie takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters because it might well be your perspective, too.
Our future could be much more secure with your help. Please SUPPORT us by either clicking on the Donate Button at the Top Right of your screen or, perhaps, click on our Google Ads if you feel that they are relevant.
You Might Also Like
The Poop Scoop News Feed
- Family tree of dogs reveals secret history of canines - BBC News
- Dayton man mauled by dog that neighbors had worried about - Dayton Daily News
- There's No Such Thing as a Good Dog - Outside Magazine
- Holly Geraci loses lawsuit, must share condo elevator with dogs ... - Chicago Tribune
- Trump Jr. celebrated Earth Day by hunting prairie dogs | New York ... - New York Post
Latest Dog Pods
- Tips on How to Stop Your Dog from Biting
- Beware - Not All Advertised Dog Rescues Really Are! How Can You Know The Truth?
- Helpful Tips For Dog Obedience Problems
- How to Keep Dogs From Eating Poop
- Dog Grooming Tips - A General Overview of the Very Basics of Dog Grooming
- Recognising Different Types of Dog Obedience Problems
- 5 Important Tips On Feeding A Puppy