Our Web Store
Swedish Lapphund Picture Gallery
Latest Dog Blogs
- Common Foods That Are Toxic To Dogs
- Why Are There So Many Pet Food Recalls?
- 3 Tips on Using a Dog Treat Ball to Keep Your Dog From Boredom
- Are Wolves or Foxes Ancestors of Today's Companion?
- Seizures In Dogs: The 5 Most Important Natural Remedies
- A Nation Of Dog Lovers? I Think Not
- Can Dogs Catch Colds From Humans?
- Dogs And Cats Get On Great ... Until Bed Time
- Dogs and Fireworks!
- Guilty Dogs!
Care of the Pregnant or Nursing Bitch
She should be under the care of a vet for any related problems. Dogs can have miscarriages. Illnesses, diseases, or infestations that the bitch picks up during her pregnancy can affect the puppies. Difficulties during whelping are entirely possible, and the rule for some breeds. You must be prepared to get her to the vet quickly in an emergency.
There are instances of "mummy puppies" where you have a puppy whose development went awry, but it was not aborted. Instead, it dries and shrivels up, and when born, looks like a mummified puppy, blackened and ready to rot. Over breeding and inadequate care are usually the causes. It is quite likely that the dam will come down with an infected uterus after such a puppy. "Water puppies" are another type of problem in which the dead puppy appears to have never properly developed a skeleton and appears to be full of gelatin. This seems to be linked to a viral exposure.
Other congenital (but not genetic) defects can include: no anus, cleft palates and hare lips. These conditions require corrective surgery or the puppy will die.
While the bitch is nursing the puppies, she will require about three times the amount of food she normally eats! It is also common for nursing mothers to go out of coat at this time.
Email to Friend
Fill in the form below to send this article to a friend:
Latest Dog Pods
- Tips on How to Stop Your Dog from Biting
- Beware - Not All Advertised Dog Rescues Really Are! How Can You Know The Truth?
- Helpful Tips For Dog Obedience Problems
- How to Keep Dogs From Eating Poop
- Dog Grooming Tips - A General Overview of the Very Basics of Dog Grooming
- Recognising Different Types of Dog Obedience Problems
- 5 Important Tips On Feeding A Puppy
The Poop Scoop News Feed
- Why It's So Hard to Study Cat Intelligence - Slate Magazine
- Dogs (and Cats) Can Love - The Atlantic
- Owner of dog killed at Mpls. park recalls terror of pit bull mix's attack - Minneapolis Star Tribune
- Mom protects 2-year-old daughter by biting off dog's ear - USA TODAY
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack - myfox8.com