7 Dangerous Reasons Why Dogs Shouldn't Eat Cooked Meat Bones

  • 31/07/2017
Embed

Well, what is it? Should we give meat bones to our a dog or not? It's a catch 22 situation. "Give a dog a bone", well according to the experts the answer is no, especially bones that have been cooked. Everyone knows a dog loves a bone, but what everyone doesn't know is the danger behind particular types that can potentially kill a dog.

Sadly even some of the most loving dog owners are oblivious to these dangers and think of this as treat for their dog, unknowing to them that could be putting their dog's life at risk. Large bones, such as a ham shank or lamb bone are not safe.

Whether your dog is big or small the same rules apply if you want to protect their health.

Cooked dog bones are not ideal and could have you visiting the vet to treat your dog, which could include emergency surgery. Vet fees are high and even though your dog is worth every penny to have the vet repair any damage done by a dog bone, it could be too late for the pooch.

Cooked Bones: Meat bones such as a lamb bacon or beef joint bone, when cooked become brittle increasing the possibility of splinters. These can seriously cause major damage on the inside. Internal complications can prove fatal for a dog. Also, any nutritional content contained in the bone diminishes a great deal.

Downsides to giving a dog a bone

  1. Cracked chipped or even a broken tooth can very likely happen. Dogs love to chew and gnaw at things, but if a dental problem occurs this may have to stop. It's unfortunate for the dog who loves to occupy themselves doing this with a chew toy or rubber bone.
  2. Sharp bones are lethal as they can pierce flesh easily. A deep gash, cut or grazed skin in the mouth or on the gums or tongue isn't something you can put right with a plaster.
  3. Bone can loop around a dog's lower jaw. To help avoid unnecessary pain to the dog, swap cooked bones for chew toys for them to sink their teeth in to.
  4. The Esophagus is the tube that the food the dog has eaten will pass through to get to the stomach. Bone stuck in the tube can have a devastating effect on the dog's health. As this goes the same for bone fragment stuck in windpipe. The tiniest fragment, if it's inhaled, can cause breathing problems.
  5. A bone jammed in the stomach or intestines you can expect severe problems. Depending on the size of the bone swallowed it may take surgery to have it removed safely by a vet.
  6. Fragments are knife sharp and if one or several become lodged in a dog's stomach it can be dangerous for the dog. As the fragments move inside the stomach they'll scrape the intestine and rectum. Bones contain calcium, which can make the stool solid, therefore, constipation is likely.
  7. Peritonitis is a bacterial infection of the abdomen. This condition is instigated by splintered bone piercing holes in the stomach or intestines.

At the end of the day it's your dog, but if you care about your dog you'll listen to the experts.

Please Help Us

We've got a small favour to ask. More people are reading IrishDogs.ie than ever, but far fewer are paying for it.

IrishDogs.ie takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters because it might well be your perspective, too.

Our future could be much more secure with your help. Please SUPPORT us by either clicking on the Donate Button at the Top Right of your screen or, perhaps, click on our Google Ads if you feel that they are relevant.

You Might Also Like

Comments (0)

Post a Comment
* Your Name:
* Your Email:
(not publicly displayed)
Reply Notification:
Approval Notification:
Website:
* Security Image:
Security Image Generate new
Copy the numbers and letters from the security image:
* Message:

Email to Friend

Fill in the form below to send this article to a friend:

Email to Friend
* Your Name:
* Your Email:
* Friend's Name:
* Friend's Email:
* Security Image:
Security Image Generate new
Copy the numbers and letters from the security image
* Message: