Forum Home Forum Home Find a Dog or Find a Home Looking for a dog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cockapoo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Doggie Friend
Doggie Friend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cockapoo
    Posted: 02 December 2009 at 4:06pm
Hello all,

I would be so grateful if you could help. We are looking for a medium-sized family pet - we have three children from aged 12 to 5. We lived abroad and our American neighbours had a cockapoo, which we all adored. I assumed (wrongly, I think), that this breed was recognised, but having read many posts/articles, I have since discovered that it is known as a 'designer dog'and many breeders can be suspect here.

Any help you might give me regarding which dog to choose would be gratefully accepted. I would love a rescue dog, but l have my reservations because we really would love a puppy.Do you know if shelters ever have puppies to home? I am horrified that there are puppy farms in operation and would not consider one, but would be eternally thankful of a few reputable breeders names.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links

Pepper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 4:42pm
hi bolt... you can rehome a puppy! There are various different shelters and rescues Dogs in Distress, Dogs Aid, DSPCA...and a few of our very own members here run rescues.  Check out the site for more info
bolt View Drop Down
Doggie Friend
Doggie Friend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 4:58pm
Thanks Pepper!

I have been checking out some sites. We live in Cork and l know there's one in Mahon, which is quite near. My ONLY reservation re. puppies is not knowing the mum/dad (the issue of the size of the dog is a big consideration for us).
SixStar View Drop Down
BIS IrishDogs Champion
BIS IrishDogs Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 5:17pm
What about one of these guys?... http://www.irishdogs.ie/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13116&title=8-puppies

A Lab/Collie cross wouldn't be huge, and both breeds are generally good with children.

Oh and welcome to the forum too by the way! Congratulations on the future addition of a four legged friend into your family, and another congratualtions on going about things the right way!
suziwalsh View Drop Down
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suziwalsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 6:41pm
There is a fantastic rescue in cork who always have pups and are very experienced.

They are called DAWG www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie even if you don't see a pup on their website just drop them an email and see what they have!

Rescues ALWAYS have pups looking for homes and most of the time you know what breeds the parents are, what size they will be etc much more details than you might think!
Adub View Drop Down
Doggie Friend
Doggie Friend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 7:25pm
There is a breeder in Horseleap, Co. Westmeath who breeds cockapoos. He also breeds every other popular dog (poodles, pugs, chihuahuas, crosses) under the sun and is a well known puppy farmer who supplies much of Europe with their designer dogs. So just a warning to avoid there if you happen to come across it....

Here's a list of pups in foster care looking for homes:

Best of luck with finding a pup!
bolt View Drop Down
Doggie Friend
Doggie Friend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 7:44pm
Thank you all so very much for all your help and input - you've been so kind with your time and information.

After your heartfelt posts, I think we should look to a rescue puppy.

Thanks again folks! Hopefully l will have a pic to post before long!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic